Additionally: what’s the which means of life?
* * *
Related Analysis & References
Query #1: Is it unsuitable to benefit from the artwork of “canceled” artists?
- One of many first “canceled” artists Stephen and Angela focus on is, in fact, Michael Jackson. To study extra in regards to the allegations in opposition to the pop star, learn this New York Instances article by Ben Sisario, or watch the 2019 Emmy-winning documentary, HBO’s Leaving Neverland.
- Angela wonders if it’s okay to take pleasure in Annie Corridor, one among her all-time favourite films. This 2018 New York Instances piece provides an in depth timeline of Woody Allen’s controversial historical past.
- Stephen references the Nazi sympathies of Ikea founder Ingvar Kamprad. You may study extra about Kamprad’s relationship with facism in this 2018 piece from The Washington Put up.
- Stephen says that the German auto business was co-opted by Nazis. In this 2014 piece from The Atlantic outlines, Jeffery Goldberg discusses the business’s problematic historical past.
- Stephen mentions artist protests in opposition to a board member of the Whitney museum in New York Metropolis. The main points of the controversy are outlined in this 2019 story from The New York Instances.
- To study extra in regards to the historical past of allegations in opposition to singer R. Kelly, try the award-winning Lifetime documentary collection Surviving R. Kelly, or learn this 2020 piece from the BBC.
- Stephen makes use of Invoice Clinton for instance of a public determine with a historical past of habits to which many individuals flip a blind eye. This 2017 story from Enterprise Insider features a checklist of sexual assault allegations in opposition to the previous president.
- Angela says that she typically struggles with Francis Galton’s historical past as a eugenicist. To study extra in regards to the scientist’s previous, we advocate studying this complete article from Nature.
- Stephen references racist ideologies held by William Vogt and different early leaders of the American environmentalist motion.
- Stephen argues that Jewish folks ought to be capable of select whether or not or not they need to take heed to the compositions of Wagner, despite the musician’s historical past of antisemitism.
- Stephen references literary critic Harold Bloom’s evaluation of Shakesepare’s characterization of Shylock in The Service provider of Venice.
- Stephen reads an argument in opposition to “cancel tradition” from thinker Janna Thompson. You may view Thompson’s full exploration of either side of the cancelation debate right here.
- Angela references psychologist Paul Rozin’s heuristic about Hilter’s sweater. The hypothetical was initially outlined in Rozin’s 1994 publication, The Contagion Idea in Grownup Considering in the USA: Transmission of Germs and Interpersonal Affect.
- Angela mentions psychologist Stephen Pinker’s idea of a world ethical awakening. Stephen’s Freakonomics co-author, Steven Levitt, just lately interviewed Pinker for his new podcast, Individuals I (Principally) Admire.
- Stephen and Angela finish their dialog by discussing sexual assault accusations in opposition to Kevin Spacey. One in all Spacey’s accusers, Anthony Rapp, filed a lawsuit in opposition to Spacey on September ninth of this yr.
* * *
Query #2: How do you get well from emotions of meaninglessness?