Right here at We ❤ Well being Literacy Headquarters, we’re large followers of easy-to-understand suggestions for stopping the unfold of COVID-19. And although well being specialists have been offering loads of steering, generally the recommendation isn’t so clear.
Working example: “Follow good hygiene.” Positive, that’s useful if you realize precisely what specialists imply by “good hygiene.” However many individuals don’t!
Typically talking, good hygiene means protecting your self and your environment clear. However relying on the context, that may imply something from washing your fingers to brushing your enamel each day or carrying clear garments.
So, how are you going to talk clearly about “good hygiene”? It’s easy — skip that time period and get straight to the particular steps folks can take to guard themselves and others. For COVID-19 prevention supplies, strive the following tips:
- Wash your fingers — so much. Rub cleaning soap in your fingers for at the least 20 seconds, then rinse it off with water.
- For those who don’t have cleaning soap and water, use hand sanitizer that’s at the least 60 p.c alcohol. Rub it in your fingers till it dries.
- Cowl your nostril and mouth whenever you cough or sneeze. Use a tissue if in case you have one and your elbow should you don’t.
- Strive to not contact your face. If you need to contact your face, wash your fingers first — and once more afterward.
- Hold your house clear. Give attention to cleansing stuff you contact so much — like doorknobs and light-weight switches. Use soapy water, a cleansing spray, or disinfecting wipes.
After all, one thing so simple as handwashing is usually a problem for individuals who don’t have entry to primary providers like working water. If that is your viewers, make sure to point out any native sources that may assist — like public handwashing stations or authorized support to assist battle a water service shutoff. And deal with steps they can take, like staying away from different folks as a lot as doable.
The underside line: As a substitute of telling your viewers to “observe good hygiene,” simply give them particular steps they will take to remain wholesome.